Yesterday I did it on the subway on the way to casting. My thought was “I’ll just blog the list that comes up.” Then I hit the button. Then I decided to do a sort of free association as songs came up.
1. Ballad of a Thin Man – Bob Dylan
- Getting a tape of his music from my aunt before I was quite ready to appreciate it
- Coming home from the Adirondacks with Matt, Miguel, and Alexis and listening to Bob Dylan’s radio show
- Talking to Jessica about the Bob Dylan movie, which she warns me not to see under any circumstances
- Receiving this CD from B as a gift in the early stages of our three-year stint.
- Thinking about various perspectives/voices any given song can have (thanks, K).
- Listening to the car radio in Rhode Island with my college boyfriend and his friends, hearing “You’re the one for me, fatty”, and thinking it was hilarious.
- A group of high school friends who were into the Smiths and wearing black. I loved that group. But I wasn’t exactly right there with them. I kinda floated between groups.
- Strangely, Morrissey also reminds me of a trip to Great Adventure with some girls I worked with at the NYU Book Centers in 1992. Which reminds me of a subway ride I once took – probably 5 years after I stopped working at NYU – when a boy stared at me for a while and then said “Did you work at NYU?" Yes. “You were always so nice to me!” (I had no recollection of this boy. But…you know…it was kinda my job to be nice to people.)
- Loser's Lounge
- Across the Universe (the movie) and how I thought it was pretty. But terrible. And how I kinda wanna see the current production of Cymballine (even though most of what I heard was negative) because it sounds pretty.
- Instant happy
- Childhood trips to Cape Cod (skipping stones...)